The period of breeding and rearing of birds is one of the most important phases of the poultry industry, if not the most, because that is when we must capitalize the entire production process. In this sense , the different types of accommodation for chickens and quail are key to ensure superior performance during periods start.
|Cage / Battery||3||750 cm2/bird||No||Conventional|
|Floor||2||9 birds / m2||No||Conventional|
|Camper||1||9 birds / m2||4 m2/ bird||Conventional|
|Ecological||0||6 birds / m2||4 m2 / bird||Ecológica|
In this article, we review the types of accommodations that are thinking of laying hens , as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each of these systems.
This system is the most used at national level ( over 90 % of laying hens in cages installed in Spain ) . Its advantage is that it has a higher yield of poultry and egg production activity ( nearly triples the performance over other systems) . Moreover, its main disadvantage is the reduction of animal welfare , with the possible effects on health.
Advantages of poultry in battery cages
Poultry production on battery cages is the system that has higher performance : allows a higher density of population and also a greater number of eggs laid per hen housed , therefore, our resources will be more efficient.
- Increased sanitary control. The management of hens allows us to have more control over their health. Once a sick fowls, we know much faster than in other systems.
- Improved hygiene egg because of the reduced number of dirty eggs.
- You can automate many of care, so that there is a significant savings of time and labor. In Insavi we have complementary cages and the distribution of food, drinking fountains, storage and filling awnings, egg collection, manure removal and drying chicken manure, for example automated systems.
- Consumption of poultry feed posture is lower because they require less energy needs by doing less exercise. In these cases, the savings is at least 10%.
Disadvantages of poultry in battery cages
- Moreover, the holding cage is the system that ensures less animal welfare. The reduced available makes some birds may present stress and fertility of these can be reduced space.
- The reduced movement of these birds also presents difficulties in grooming (self-cleaning animal) so their plumage may be more careless.
- Regarding egg quality, housing cage reduces shell quality, although it is not shown that the nutritional value of this decrease.
Poultry production on the ground (1 or more levels)
This type of production is little used by the poultry industry in our country (only 2% of the poultry industry uses). In its favor, the production of eggs on the ground makes birds feel more comfortable and therefore, the fertility rate is higher. Conversely, it is the lower density that allows bird.
Advantages of poultry production on the ground
- Chickens do more exercise and are not subject to much stress because they can move more freely.
Disadvantages of poultry production on the ground
- As a main disadvantage, we highlight collected less hygiene egg, as it may be in contact with excrement.
- Movement and exercise of the birds is greater, thus requiring higher energy needs and food.
Camper and ecological egg
The camper comes from hens egg release: Normally, a chicken coop where they sleep at night and a patio where they can go outdoors and move freely. The only difference between the camper and the ecological egg is based on the feed provided to the laying hens (organic or not), that is why we include them in the same group.
Advantages of production range eggs
- Life on freedom of hens makes these provide higher quality eggs. In addition, more and more people who value this type of production due to its nutritional benefits.
Disadvantages of production range eggs
- Logically, performance decreases hens. We need more space, infrastructure, manpower and time to production range eggs, so the price of these eggs increases.